PERMANENT RESIDENT By Alejandro Mata
Who is Eligible for the Mexican Permanent Resident Card?
You are eligible for a Mexico Permanent Resident Card if you fulfill one of the following requirements:
- You are retired and intend to live in Mexico permanently without employment/income from Mexico (Mexico Retirement Visa)
- You have close family relations in Mexico:
- You have a child who is a Mexican citizen or permanent resident
- You are a child or adolescent and you have a parent who is a Mexican citizen or permanent resident
- You are a child or adolescent and you have a step-parent who is a Mexican citizen or permanent resident
- You are the sibling of a Mexican citizen or permanent resident
- You have lived in Mexico for at least four years with a Temporary Resident Card
- You have lived in Mexico for at least two years with a Temporary Resident Card issued on the grounds of marriage to a Mexican citizen or permanent resident
What is the Duration of a Mexico Permanent Resident Card?
The Permanent Resident Card for Mexico does not have an expiry date – it is issued for an indefinite amount of time. As such, it does not have to be renewed every few years, like the Temporary Resident Card does.
Benefits of the Mexico Permanent Resident Card
A Permanent Resident Card gives the holder similar rights to an actual Mexico citizen, excluding the right to vote. As such, with a Mexican Permanent Resident Card:
- You are allowed to work without having to get a work permit
- You may apply for free health insurance
- You only have to apply once – since it is indefinite, there is no need to renew it everyone to two years
- You can enter and leave Mexico as many times as you want
Requirements for the Mexican Permanent Resident Card
When you apply for Mexican Permanent Residence, you must have several documents which support your application, such as:
- Completed and signed Mexico Visa Application Form
- Your passport along with photocopies of the relevant pages (first and last page, any visas and stamps you have received)
- Passport-size picture with a white background and taken in the last six months.
- Visa fee payment
- Booked flight ticket. You do not have to pay for the ticket until your visa application is approved.